“Mr. Schlicker goes to town”
Hermann Schlicker established his organbuilding firm in Buffalo, New York in 1930, having trained in organbuilding workshops in Europe before his emigration to America in 1920. He was an early proponent of the revival of the Werkprinzip style of organbuilding, in which each division of an organ has a clear location and purpose within the larger instrument. In the early 1950’s concert organist E. Power Biggs caught the Werkprinzip “Bug” and became an energetic advocate of this style of instrument. This development in his philosophy led to a well-documented “falling out” between Biggs and G. Donald Harrison whose American Classic organs did not reflect the Werkprinzip ideals. Mr. Harrison was living in New York with his second wife and “commuting” to Boston to work in the Aeolian-Skinner factory – when in Boston he had routinely stayed in the Biggs’ house. After the falling-out, Mr. Harrison moved his personal effects out of the house, and Biggs became an advocate of Schlicker’s work. This grand double-organ reflects the best of that important era of American Organbuilding, and with restoration will certainly make an important impact in its new home.
Both the chancel and gallery consoles are 3 manuals and they are identical. Keyboards (6) – single cut ivory Gallery Pedal Principal 32 includes 12 wood pipes from previous instrument – which are not included in the sale. Metal pipes in the façade’s pedal tower need repair – but include 5 notes in the 32’ octave.